Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Review: Supervillain of the Day

Here's my first book review! Hurrah!
Anyway, I first heard about this book because I'm a friend of the author (Katie Lynn Daniels). Well, friend is a strong word, and I don't know if she'd agree. Let's say we are strong acquaintances. Yeah, that works.
Anyway (again), I got this book mere days after it was released and read it quickly after.
What can I say about it? Well, I could say "It's terrible!", "It's boring!", or "It's the best thing to come out of England since Sherlock Holmes!", but none of those would be true. It's not terrible, it's not boring, and the author is from Kentucky, not England. This book is not brilliant, but it is a good, short book.
What else can I say? I once referred to it as the Don Quixote of Superhero fiction, but better.
What do I mean by that? I mean it's better written... oh, you mean the other part? Well, Don Quixote was a book that made fun of common stories of his time by stringing together a group of stereotypes from them into a story. Supervillain of the Day does the same, but with a better story, in my opinion.
The basic plot is this: Supervillains spontaneously come into being out of normal humans, and no one knows how. Tabloid Reporter Jeffry Floyd just happens to live in the one place on Earth (London) where no Supervillains can be found. When given an ultimatum to find some Supervillains or else, Jeffry goes to Scotland Yard and ends up wrapped up in a scheme to take over not just the Supervillains of London, but also all the normal humans as well.
I don't want to say much else, because it might give away the story. Yes, this story isn't perfect. There is some info-dumping which I found a bit unnecessary, but it's still an enjoyable read and the book is a nice set up for more adventures concerning Floyd, his Inspector 'friend' Adams, and their 'adventures' with Supervillains.
I hope you check out this book and enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment