Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Light in the Darkness

   I've been reading books recently (reading books! It's quite delightful). Some of them are good books, some of them are bad books. Still, to be honest, I don't believe I've ever rated a fiction book very low. Perhaps I'm too nice, or perhaps it's because I can find things I like in lots of different books.
   What do I mean by that? Well, if you look at a book (especially a controversial book) what are you looking for? Are you looking for a good story? A good moral? A Christian moral? What guides you into choosing a book and, once you've finished it, proclaiming it good?
   Let's talk about books, for instance. Harry Potter is a controversial series, which I happen to like. It's not my favorite, and I wouldn't advise it to everyone. Still, there are several brilliant lines and wonderful actions by the characters that make the book a perfect place to start a conversation.
   How about movies, on the other hand? Neil Gaiman's Beowulf is a movie which I thought nearly perfect, but I would not advise it to children at all. To one with a discerning mind (and the ability to watch such things) it can be a valuable tool for teaching and, amazingly, entertainment.
   But what is the point of watching a movie or reading a book? Is it to entertain? Is it to teach? Is it a mixture of the two? For me, a story with no point can be as disheartening as a story with terrible content.
   What is my goal with my books? I strive to tell what some might call parables. Greg Boyd said a parable is something which tells of heavenly values combined with a setting of the real world (paraphrased, of course). So, what is my point? Here you go: When we fail to see the light shining through the darkness, we miss out on much that this world has to offer.

What are your thoughts? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment